Monday, December 26, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

I Never Dreamed I Would Do It Too!

There are just some things that you don't ever imagine yourself doing.  In fact, often times, you have dreams about them.  Anxiety dreams, they call them.  Where you dream you are naked in class or in a business meeting.  How will I give this presentation without my clothes?  It's a very upsetting dream and usually indicates a disturbed mind, or at least that you are disturbed about something.  I think.  Whatever.

My dreams usually involve monsters and whales and dark water. No, those are nightmares.  Usually, really strange things happen like a baby with a golden arm appears and then something else happens.  Let's just say that once, on a hike up Sabino Canyon in Tucson, AZ with some friends we were talking about dreams and I told one of mine.  One of the girls in the group looked at me a little strangely and said, "You should really see a Jungian therapist.  They would love to get a hold of you."  Somehow that sounded vaguely threatening, so I never did go find a Jungian therapist and gradually, the whales, the dark water and monsters faded away to plain old anxiety dreams of nakedness. Like everyone else has.  I like to think that my happiness in raising guide dog puppies had fostered a sense of contentment and well being that has provided a safe haven for my subconscious to go on vacation and not have to dream up such elaborate scenarios at night.  Until today.

Two years ago I told a story about Bingo doing the poo hunch in the middle of Westshore Mall and that I picked up his 50lb self and ran him out the door (which was quite a distance away! Pretty good for an middle-aged, out of shape lady!). Crisis averted.  Carolyn then shared one of her poo stories which made me laugh so hard I though I was going to shoot coffee out my nose.  I apologize Carolyn.  I sincerely apologize.  I completely understand now why you did what you did.  But I get ahead of myself...

Today, we took the Jamster to Home Depot.  As we were walking in, I thought to myself, "It's about 3:30, he had a big pee.  That's good. Is there something else I should be thinking about?" Then my pea brain went off to think about Bed, Bath and Beyond, which was our next stop.  What did I need, blah blah blah.  We went in and started walking around.  Fred had a HUGE list of things he needed.  So I said I would go look at bathroom towel racks where I took a lovely photo of Jam as he looked at  himself in the mirrors.  I also got some cute video.
Jam, lying down, in front of some mirrors in the bathroom department.  You would think this would be foreshadowing, wouldn't you?
Then we found Fred and he sent us on this wild goose chase to find shelf doodads, and we wandered up and down aisles and couldn't find them.  We met back up Fred and it is now about 4:15.  The sweet spot for Jam as far as poo goes is right after breakfast, sometimes a 10 am poo and between 4:30 and 5:30 pm. He is REGULAR.  No fooling around.  So as we start to turn down the aisle I feel a little tug on the leash.  I look down and it's the dreaded poo hunch!

CRAP (so to speak!).  Now I have two choices: Let him poo (not a choice!) or take him out (we are far from the entrance).  But, and here's the big question: Has he actually committed himself, or is he just hunched like Bingo?

Mind you all of this is going through my head in a fraction of a second as Fred is walking off down the aisle.

What do I do?  I have to check to see if he is committed.  Otherwise I can carry him. So, I

I reach behind him.

I reach behind him and I feel for poo.

Yep.  He's committed.

In a big way.

It falls into my left hand.  Oh my God.  I have poo in my hand.  My dog just pooped in my hand.  I look up and there are people in the aisle.  Did they see him poop in my hand?  This is a real life anxiety dream only I am fully clothed and holding poo!  And my dog is going to pump out some more!

I leap up.  I can't carry him with a hand full of poo, so a RUN down the aisle with poor Jam running after me like his underwear is around his ankles.  We run as fast as we can to the exit.  Mind you, Jam CANNOT POO IN COAT.  So my main goal (aside from getting poo out of hand) is to get the coat off of him and let him shoot poo out his butt in a safe place.

Right there by the exit is an orange bucket with a garbage sack.  OMG I have to get this poo out of my hand.  I stop for a micro second to throw the poo into the bucket and in that microsecond Jam has squirted out another poo WHICH I HAVE CAUGHT!  OMG.  I throw that one away as well and run Jam out the door and over to the median grassy area and yank the coat off of him.

I can hear the sigh of relief as he finishes his poo.  I can also her the laughter as one of the Home Depot customers walks out to his car.

I tell myself, I have on all my clothes.  It could have been worse.

5 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahahahaha now that you've posted this, I guess I can admit to ..... piking poop up with my hand, because my dog decided to poop in the door way of Walmart, and I was not prepared. At.All. Had I left it, do you know how far that stuff would have been tracked? THE most disgusting thing I have done to date. And now I've just admitted to it. In writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! My puppy raisers and my daughter know there is one thing that will send me over the edge, allowing a puppy to eliminate in coat. I once had a puppy raiser (who didn't last long) stand there and argue with her teen aged daughter over who was going to pick up the poop while the dog was going on the sidewalk in coat! My daughter said, "Get that coat off!!!". To which the mom said, "Well, he's almost finished, so it really doesn't matter."
    Yep, we all get a little distracted and think they can hold it for a few more minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, now that is worse than (almost) any nightmare! You have now convinced me to always, always, always have a clean-up kit, and keep a very watchful eye out for any signs of hunching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't stop laughing when I read this post. I have had three guide dogs now and my second was known for pooping in public on a pretty regular basis. I can remember worrying every time we went into a mall about where he was going to decide to drop his load. I always made sure to give him plenty of time to go outside, but he seemed to always do it anyways.

    Since getting my third guide dog, who would never think of relieving in public, I have fostered two puppies for autism assistance and am now raising my own puppy to hopefully take over for my current guide. I now religiously keep vinegar, paper towels and baggies on me at all times. My puppy is currently eight months old and has not had an accident in public, but I know it will happen that one time I don't have anything with me.

    Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why is it poop stories make you laugh?well done,you're a saint!

    ReplyDelete