Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pin It


Bingo's Vacation Part II

The continuation of the diary of Bingo's puppy sitters.

March 18th, 2010

Today was a great day. We took Bingo out in the car to the bank and a jewelry shop and to Red Lobster. He hates our car and doesn't like getting into it. He was very good at the restaurant and even cleaned up al the ice cubes Joe dropped when he knocked over his iced tea glass. Aved the wiaters from picking htem up. Then we brought him home and worked him with the wheelchair doing ovedience work for 20 minutes. Placed his play collar on him and threw the kong around for 1/2 an hour. He loved it. He finally laid down and didn't want to move any more so we brought him in. He was given a dental stick and went into the bedroom to lay down. He's exhausted. We were very proud of him.

March 19, 2010

Today we took Bingo to socialize with other people around the neighborhood. He is still lunging at people and tried to jump on the physical therapist. Bingo's biggest problem is scrounging for food in the house. He acts like he's hungry all the time and this may be a huge problem for him in being a service dog. He never begs at the table or in the restaurants we've gone to, so that's good.

March 20, 2010

Today we put Echo's run together and Bingo was able to be in the backyard with us for the whole day. It got very warm and he wasn't happy inthe sun so we gave him the option of the back porch. He went into the run when it was completed and promptly christened it. Not a bit afriad of it and seemed to enjoy it. Practiced obedience and he is very good next to the wheelchair. Very good sign. His sits are getting better and the downs are great.

March 21, 2010

It poured today and that has limited our time with obedience or taking him to church with us. He had to be crated while we got some personal things out of the way, but was very good about it and received a dental stick when we got home. Bingo seems to be scratching his right ear and I've checked it, but I think he needs the solution that the manual suggests for itchy ears.

March 22, 2010

McLean's on way back home to pick up Bingo.

They took really good care of him and we are so grateful for their attention to his training and health. That's why when we left and my parents came to take care of our chocolate lab Willow, they couldn't also take care of Bingo. They weren't puppy raisers. They didn't know the program, know the manual, understand how the obedience commands worked. Granted, most of the time, I feel clueless about how the obedience commands work as well, but you do need to have a clear understanding of the program in order to puppy sit a guide dog in training.

It is not the usual thing to have the puppy raisers write up such a lovely diary, but it was a wonderful gift. Bingo was very sweet and compliant for about a week after he came back. Then he went back to his Dr. Jekyl, Mr. Hyde routine, which I am sure is directly attributable to us.

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Steffe and Joe!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like he had a great camp! There are a lot of commands to know, but after the first couple of puppies you will be saying them all the time, including when you don’t have a puppy with you (you get some strange looks then:) )