Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

I Feel a Little Nauseous

Last night, I drove with Coach, our Southeastern guide dog puppy, over the Courtney Campbell to the Panera on Westshore and Kennedy to attend a librarian's meeting. It was raining, so I drove a bit below the speed limit. Not much passing either. Still, this was the face that I got as we started out on our trip.

A sad faced Coach peering up from the wheel well of the passenger seat.
A sad faced Coach peering up from the wheel well of the passenger seat.
About a 1/4 mile before we got to Panera, Coach popped up and looked at me.  He seemed to be drooling.  Oh.  Drooling.  That's a bad sign.  Drooling usually foretells puking.  Sure enough, Coach turned and started to heave and then deposited half his dinner in the corner of my car.

"Oh Coach! Poor baby."  I grabbed his collar, because of course his first instinct upon losing his dinner is to get it back again by eating it. Mind you, this isn't his first time barfing.  He puked on Saturday during our ride to lunch with a former student, but at the time, we thought it was the speed bumps that made him sick.  Now, I'm not so sure.  This trip was straight highway.

I'm nearing the restaurant.  I plant Coach firmly to the front by the seat and as we are at a stop light, I take one of my nifty ziploc bags and reach all the way down and grab the vomit and, through my ziploc glove, maneuver it into the bag.  Mission accomplished and before the green light too! Woot.

Coach gives me the evil eye, sort of.  He's still feeling a bit woozy, but still kind a wants that vomit. I toss the puke bag onto the carpet in the back seat and pat him on the head.

 
Coach is sitting a little closer to the passenger door, but still seems a bit nauseous.
Coach is sitting a little closer to the passenger door, but still seems a bit nauseous.

 He's not happy about cars in general.  In fact, we have been working on getting him into cars by feeding him in the car.  So, breakfast and dinner take place in the car, which generally make him happy to jump in.  Otherwise, he is hesitant and unwilling to get near the door.  Sometimes he doesn't even want to walk by the car. It's something we are working on.

We arrived and we tried for another busy busy.  He was on empty.  But he didn't poo after dinner, so I knew he was filled with poo.  I would have to be hyper-vigilant.

All the librarians are sitting around a table at Panera and Coach is sitting in the middle of them on the floor.
All the librarians are sitting around a table at Panera and Coach is sitting in the middle of them on the floor. Left to right: Alyssa, Ramsay, Cyndi, Susan, and Kathleen with Coach down front.
About midway through our meeting, a sleeping Coach pops up and starts to move around.  Hmmm.  Could this be poo-time?  I took him outside and sure enough, it was.  Yea!!!  Success.  We came back in and he went back to sleep.  He was so good during the whole meeting.  Everyone said they didn't even know he was there.  Afterwards, several of the librarians stayed to pet him when he didn't have his coat on.  He was very good.

He made it all the way home without an incident.  Who knew we would have such a delicate flower for a football coach?

No comments:

Post a Comment