Friday, August 31, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Up On the Stage

Today was the Student Library Proctor Induction Ceremony.  It took place during convocation on the stage in the Lykes Theater.  It was Friday, so I had my Southeastern Guide Dog puppy Coach with me.  Now, there have been other inductions, other Fridays.  Bingo, well, let's just say, that would have been a nightmare.  HRH Berkeley on the other hand would have become bored well into the 5 minute mark and barked her displeasure at having to sit through the ENTIRE ceremony.  But, I did bring Jam to the induction ceremony last year. And he exposed himself to the audience.  The video is at the end of the post.  It wasn't a real relaxing induction ceremony for me, needless to say.  

Photo of Coach on the stage floor with the legs of our Head SLPs in the background.
Photo of Coach on the stage floor with the legs of our Head SLPs in the background.

Today, however, I had Coach.  Mr. Mellow.  I started the ceremony and he was lying down at the podium on my left side.  Since he seemed really comfortable there, when I went to sit down, I just left him there.

Photo of our Head SLP Elizabeth speaking at the podium while Hugh, Christina, Keebler and I are sitting in the background.
Photo of our Head SLP Elizabeth speaking at the podium while Hugh, Christina, Keebler and I are sitting in the background.

So in the photo above when Elizabeth is speaking, Coach is in front of me, sleeping and on her left side.

Photo of the long line of waiting SLPs to be inducted.
Photo of the long line of waiting SLPs to be inducted.

Now, I show you this photo of all the 20 new SLPs, just to give you an idea of how many people needed to walk up, get a pin and shake our hands and then go back to their seats.  It took about 6 minutes.  I had to step over to the right hand side of the podium and leave Coach and shake everyone's hand.  Coach never moved.  Not one muscle.  

I checked on him, leaning back and peering over to see if he was still in the same position as kids were sitting and walking in between handshakes and "Welcome!" But little Coach didn't even dream and wiggle in his sleep.  He stayed still and calm.  For the whole ceremony.

It wasn't until it was all over, when I finally came up to the podium and indicated that all 560 people could clap for the new SLPs that Coach reared his head.  I then slipped my foot out and stepped casually on the leash.  He was just getting into a sitting position.  After all, who wants to move fast when you just had a lovely nap?

Not Coach.  He sighed and slipped back into a down stay.  What a good boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment