Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pin It

Widgets

Shopping 101

By Fred
Since Cheryl is away on a school event today, I thought it would be a good time to do some male bonding with Bingo and make a trip to Home Depot, his first shopping trip (if you know Cheryl you will appreciate the irony here). He and I could check out the rows of wood, admire some power tools and do all the things guys like to do. Besides, I needed to pick up a few things for a project, so this would be a very efficient outing, right?

I have to admit that Bingo did not immediately grasp the purpose of a shopping cart except as a big, irresistible, rolling toy that taunted and tempted him nonstop. We spent quite a while, up and down, back and forth, until he got the general idea and walked beside me with such perfection that I might have cried with happiness, only there is no crying in Home Depot.

Wherever we go I overhear comments about how Bingo is the cutest dog ever (and this might actually be true). Most people understand that he is a working dog, but I've discovered that one or two people always squat down, make cooing noises and ask to pet him. I told one man today, after pulling Bingo back, No, we are trying to teach him to be focused. He's supposed to be taking care of me--he just doesn't know it yet.

Another man simply walked up to me and said it will break your heart when you have to give him back, and then he walked away. Thank you for that, weird man.

As for the wood and the power tools, Bingo was not impressed. I have a feeling that his first trip to the grocery store will be a different story. I'll wait for Cheryl to do that--he kept me so busy today I wasn't able to actually buy anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment